Sunday, May 15, 2016

One More Promise to Keep

 My friend, my fur baby, my sweet puppy: when I said good bye to you as you drifted away, I was relieved to know that all my promises to you were kept.

When I adopted you, fifteen years ago, I promised to care for you to my best ability, to the very end. I told you I'd never leave you, and if I went away, I'd return to you. I promised that I'd always love you, be there for you, support and comfort you in your old age, and I did.

As you closed your eyes, and your body left me, this huge love remained. I made you one last promise: that I would write a book about you, my love, about our life together, the happy times, the dark times, the funny times, and pour this tremendous love in it. A book about us.

This blog is it, my pup, the book unfolding - my last promise to you for me to keep.

3 comments:

  1. הרבה פעמים זה הפתיע אותי ותמיד ריגש אותי הדרך שחשבת טיפלת ודעגת לקינוק.הרוך שבך קיבל בעיני אחד הצורות הכי יפות בשותפות ומשפחתיות היפה ביניכן.
    מחכה לכתיבה שלך חברה אהובה, הכשרון ואהבת יוצרים פלאים ו

    ReplyDelete
  2. הרבה פעמים זה הפתיע אותי ותמיד ריגש אותי הדרך שחשבת טיפלת ודעגת לקינוק.הרוך שבך קיבל בעיני אחד הצורות הכי יפות בשותפות ומשפחתיות היפה ביניכן.
    מחכה לכתיבה שלך חברה אהובה, הכשרון ואהבת יוצרים פלאים ו

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you תודה רבה for your appreciation, it means a lot to me as you do!

      Translating to English your comment:

      "I was often surprised and always moved by the way you cared for and concerned yourself with Kinook. The (love?) inside you took, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful forms of partnership and beautiful family relationship between the two of you. Looking forward to your writing, my beloved friend, your talent and love is birthing wonders!"

      Thank you, Dana, my love!

      I have learned to treat my canine companion Kinook with greater kindness, respect and skill than I had treated those that I loved before her. It took learning and growing!

      Although, I have never considered the human to be at the centre of the universe, and I secretly and silently doubted anthropocentrism when encountering it in school.

      Yes, humans are highly evolved animals with a prefrontal cortex and self awareness blah blah blah, and greater abilities does not equal greater rights - if anything, we have greater responsibility for those depending on us. I think that how we treat our animal companions is how we treat our children, our elders, our sick and weak ones; and how we treat each other shapes the future of our humanity and world.

      It is from you, Dana, that I learned: "Those who have give to those who don't"!

      Delete