Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Dogs that Came Before, Part Two: Mushi

 Mushi was a gorgeous English Cocker Spaniel with shiny, wavy mirror-like fur, long ears and fluffy legs and feet. He was a playful little fellow who adored rough play, and our favourite game was him biting strongly into my long sleeve, and then flying around like a carousel while I was spinning.

I would have readily invited Mushi to sleep in bed with me and cuddle – as he was a cuddly pup, if Dad would not have decided to impose some strict rules about him: the dog was to not be allowed in either Dad’s and Eliza’s bedroom, nor in my room, but he was to sleep alone in the corridor, both room doors closed. My heart felt heavy and sinking to what I considered a both cruel and unnecessary rule which caused my new little friend to go to sleep while crying for company, a young pack animal having to pass the night away from his pack members. It was January in the cold Romanian winter, and Mushi was sleeping in the cool air draft flowing from underneath both doors.

My father clearly did not want this dog, and acted with resentments towards him and me, saying things like: “Of course we can’t afford this or that item, because we just spent all these hundreds for a dog!”

It wasn’t long before Mushi fell ill, his appetite diminished, and his coat turned from shiny and wavy to dull and frizzy. We took him to the vet and discovered that he had been poisoned, licking pesticides off the walls, which had been treated against cockroaches. The vet prescribed his care and urged us to wash our walls with water and soap, and warned us that Mushi’s development would be delayed due to the neurotoxin in the pesticide. I was sad and mostly angry at my father as I regarded my dog’s misfortune as somehow correlated with the hostile reception he received at home. “He was unwanted!” I exclaimed, face red and wet with tears, “Look what became of him, he came to us so well and healthy, and look at him now!”

The bedroom ban was lifted and Mushi got nursed to health in bed and everywhere else. He conquered Eliza’s heart in no time, and maybe my father’s heart too, as much as my Dad’s heart was up for takes. And then one day his coat was wavy and shiny again, and his appetite returned. I celebrated!

I loved this dog so much, and was so connected to him, that I counted him in my activities, my plans and my daydreaming fantasies. I took Mushi with me to visit the rehearsals of the choir I sang in, and friends came to my home purposefully to visit him. And he would proceed to steal everyone’s heart, one after the other, so when I’d meet a friend, they’d first ask me: “How is Mushi doing?” before asking about me.

Mushi was friendly to everybody, and he was the sweetest pup indeed, with an unusual exception: when offered a treat, his eyes would lose focus, become glazed, and he would jump over his cookie with his front legs, cover it, and guard it with loud and aggressive growls. He would go on and on in this crazy trans, and I could only snap him out of it by showing him the leash and mentioning a walk. Then he would come back to his sweet puppy self, as if nothing has happened, and life went on. Later I found that male Cocker Spaniels have this genetic disease referred to as Rage Syndrome, apparently with no known cure.

I took Mushi for walks to a small patch of grass at the intersection of four narrow streets, right across a busy road from our apartment building. When other dogs joined us, I would remove his leash so he could play and run, and it would take me quite some effort getting the leash back on him. One man who walked with his brown-patched German Pointer used to laugh at me, imitating my ineffective attempts at getting Mushi to respond to my commands. He’d make a high pitched voice and say: “Oh, Mushi, would you consider the possibility of maybe coming to me if it’s not too much trouble, whenever you have a moment?” I laughed along with this man, as he did capture the essence of my approach.

Until the day I didn’t laugh again.

A German Shepherd was released to the grass park and I let go of Mushi’s leash to encourage him to play. Mushi was now ten months old, and the big dog was too much for him, so he ran away. He headed home, with me running after him and screaming, calling his name; he did not make it to the other side of the road. A truck hit him and killed him on the spot.

I had a shock and after an intense feeling of terror gripping my insides like a cold claw, I bled what looked like menstrual bleeding, but was not, it was my body’s response to the traumatic death of my dog.
I grieved Mushi and cried with Eliza in each other’s arms, her confessing me that she had not imagined that a dog’s death could hurt so much. Wherever I went the streets were filled with Cocker Spaniels, and I missed my little Mushi so much, and the guilt and regrets haunted me for a long time. I then began to value the importance of leadership and training in dog care, and teaching your dog to come to you when called as if his life depends on it, because it does.

One cloudy day in October 1984 a small grey dog with long, wavy hair was roaming the street, the same street where Mushi was killed, looking for food, sniffing and licking an ice-cream wrapping that somebody had dropped on the ground. He had no collar but he didn’t look like a stray dog, he looked clean and groomed.

Seeing this little dog on the street, something snapped in my head and I told myself: “Oh my god, this dog will be killed by a car!”. I took him away from his ice-cream wrapper, well aware that he might bite me for it, and in spite of his growling protests, I took him in my arms, went home to my parents, and presented the dog to them.

We named the dog Grizzly.


(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment